Sunday, May 14, 2006

Countdown to the Gay Games - Music for a 25K


Week 9

It has literally been raining all week making running a difficult prospect. But I am happy to say that this week, mid training, I am up to running 25K. In celebration of this and my new found love of the iPod, I created a playlist for my run. If you have any great recommendations for new songs, let me know.

The Letting Go - Melissa Etheridge
Yeah, it's about breaking up but it's a great stretching song. And y'all know how I like that misery shit.

Halfway Home - Bill Bonk
Almost Ran - Josh Canova
These two songs are total chill, pass the time, remind your legs that it's going to be a long run kind of songs. I also think it is ironic that one of the first songs is entitled halfway home when essentially i just left the house.

She's No You - Jesse McCartney
At this point in my run, I'm at the Northpoint watertower and getting my first look at the lake. I like the hook to this song and I sort of fashion that this cute boy is singing to me.

Let Go - Frou Frou
"Cuz there's beauty in a breakdown"

Soar - Christina Aguilera
This really should have been a gay anthem but I think it got eclipsed by the other songs on the Dirrty album. I'm at about 2.5 miles now and my legs are burning so when Xtina sings "spread your wings and soar", I say "how far".

They (Eye in the Sky Mix) - Jem
Domino - Thunderball
Ready, Steady, Go - Paul Oakenfold
It's time to start putting it into gear as I reach the boathouses. Depending on the time of day, the marina is hopping with people and I'm beginning to really find my groove and pace. Jem is awesome and I thank Tray for introducing me to her music. Domino has a groovy lounge feel, sort of like the music they play before all the clubbers get really going. Ready, Steady, Go ramps me up for what's to come.

Come On - Andy Hunter
From the Alias soundtrack. It is one of the songs they play when Sydney Bristow is kicking ass. I'm at about 4.5 miles now and it is an easy place to start slowing down but this song puts me over the edge. Running past Bradford Beach, it's boy watching time and I sort of fashion myself kicking a little ass too.

What About - Janet Jackson
This was the song that made me want a career as a backup dancer for Janet. Alas, I went to medical school. But the angry lyrics and pounding beat are strategically placed on this run to get me up the Lake Park hill. People passing by see me focused and mouthing all the words "you didn't fuck up she only gave you head".

Since You've Been Gone (DeFranco Remix) - Kelly Clarkson
Baby Boy (Junior Vasquez mix) - Beyonce
Apart - Dangerous Muse
Hex Club Mix - Britney Spears
Sorry (Paul Oakenfold Mix) - Madonna
Harder - Manny Lehman
Chris Cox Megamix - Britney Spears
Past 5 miles and 45 minutes, the running gets easy. The legs go into automatic and it's just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other. This section gets substituted often (thanks J&R for loading me up from the get go) but it essentially is filled with mindless dance mix and electronic stuff to keep me going at a good pace. For the next three miles, my thoughts wander. Notables though would be Dangersous Muse's retro 80's sexually ambiguous sound. Also Madonna's song Sorry just makes me crazy. It reminds me of dancing at ARQ in Sydney. Harder reminds me of my early days on the dance floor - Manny never lets me down, even today. As the runs get longer, this section will expand. Suggestions?

Canned Heat - Jamiroquai
Transitioning to the final third of the run, it's somewhat important to slow it down a bit or I won't be able to walk tomorrow. I'm a total freak because I first heard this song on the Center Stage soundtrack and I've always loved it.

You're A God - Vertical Horizon
Don't Look Down - BBMak
On A High - Duncan Shiek
Breathe - Michelle Branch
Why Can't I - Liz Phair
The wind down starts at mile 9. These songs have slower verses but tend to crank just a little bit during their choruses. I'm passing Alterra coffeeshop staring down all of the intellectuals. The Lafayette hill poses a challenge but it's probably a good time to walk a bit anyway.

I'll Take it From Here - Jonatha Brooke
On Saturday Afternoons in 1963 - Ricki Lee Jones
This Woman's Work - Kate Bush
The Water is Wide - Karla Bonoff
These are the slow songs. Jonatha Brooke is such a great lyricist, I wish I could write like she does. I tend to slow way down during these songs until I am home stretching out my aching muscles.

Noche de Toxinas - Kinky
Occasionally, the run hasn't been going well and I'm hurting on the home stretch. Newberry Street can seem like it goes on forever at this point. So I built in a kicker in case I need a bit of a lift to make it home.

1 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home