Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Countdown to the Gay Games - Benched


week 3

Unfortunately, I have come down with walking pneumonia - cough, fever, the works. This makes it very difficult to maintain a running schedule as the mere action of walking across a room leads to shortness of breath and fatigue. I hate being sick. Because even though it seems like a great way to just take a day off to rest, even a night on the couch watching LOST and Top Chef is an uncomfortable ordeal.

But I shouldn't complain. There are people who are sick every day. I am reminded of friends with HIV who battle not only the periodic bouts of infections but also the daily side effects of their medicines. Any change in their routine or diet can lead to intense fatigue or nausea. And while I can look forward to a full recovery, they look forward to making it a part of their life.

And so in this week of recuperation, I will think about those who cannot even begin to tackle a marathon. And when I cross the finish line in July, I hope to carry with me my gay brethren with HIV who make the act of living a marathon of sorts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home