Sunday, June 18, 2006

Son of a Witch


Sequels, sophomore albums, getting back together - is anything better the second time around? OK, OK, I can think of a few things (day old pizza). Since I liked the book Wicked so much, picking up and reading Gregory McGuire's sequel, Son of a Witch, seemed like a no brainer. The book tells the tale of Liir, Elphaba's maybe son, as he flashes back the years since the famed meltdown. If there was some allegorical lesson to be learned (as with Wicked), I missed it. And unlike the majority of his other books, Mr. McGuire had no cheeky fairy tale to twist to keep things interesting for a reader who would think "hmmph, is that the real story?"

Frankly, I should have taken a cue from the fact that I never really enjoyed any of the other books that Mr. McGuire wrote except for Wicked. So I'm not really surprised that I plowed through this one just to get it done with. I guess I just thought the same thing that we all think when dealing with the second time around - this time, things will be different.