Friday, October 07, 2005

Winter Chill

Two days ago, it was 81 degrees in my little urban borough. Today it is 47. From summer to winter without passing go. I simply refuse to turn on my heat before the middle of october but damn it is cold in my house. Aside from civil defiance, I am also worried about what will likely be huge energy bills this year with the fallout from two hurricanes. I'm not worried about me, I'm more worried about the people who will be unable to pay. The city just announced that it will be able to provide energy assistance for people who bring in less than 29K for a family of four! Hey, that was last year's poverty level. One cannot just easily absorb a doubling of a heating bill when one is trying to feed two or three kids. Did you know that at most homeless shelters, the homeless are not allowed to stay in the shelter during the day - only at night? Where are the fundraisers now? When is the star studded Pay Your Heating Bill telethon? Dig deep folks. Paying your taxes isn't enough. Financially support your local social service programs. Donate those old sweaters or coats. If you feel uncomfortable giving money to homeless folks, consider leaving your recyclable cans out for them to pick up so they get the money. Or recycle them yourselves and donate that money. Conserve energy to avoid further hikes. As prices soar, pressure your county officials to move funds in the right direction. It's going to be a cold one.

2 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Zachary Juno said...

I am so glad that I don't have natural gas heating in my new place, I heard that natural gas is going up 25% this year. I actually have a couple of coats that I could and should donate. Thanks for making me think.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger gipedan said...

Yours By Design Heating and Cooling is a full service Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) contractor based in Blaine, MN
installing residential heating and air and commercial heating and air.**Heating****Cooling**electric water heaterelectric water heater

 

Post a Comment

<< Home