Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Midterm Voting

Yesterday was election day. I always feel great about voting, so patriotic. I am always infused with vigor at the democratic process even though in alot of ways I think it's rigged. I am always registered in the district where I live and aside from a short period of time when I voted absentee (to prove a point), I love the actual process of going to my polling place and casting by ballot. I always thank the volunteers and make a big production of putting my ballot in the machine. I could vote straight down one party line but I like filling in the arrow for every single candidate. I exit the building with a sense of duty accomplished and I always participate in exit polls if there is one.

I'm pleased as punch that the Dems took the House. For one, history will recount the first female Speaker of the House. And for those of you who aren't in the know, if both president and VP are out of commission, she would become president. I'm actually a bit worried that the Dems might take the Senate as well. On the surface, it would seem like a good thing but I worry that the Republicans would then blame the Dems for everything over the next two years leaving the door open for a Republican presidential win in 08.

I'm bummed about Wisconsin's stupid marriage amendment passing. I thought the race would be closer. Wisconsin voters caved to right wing pressure. And while I will be the first to say that I think the institution as a whole is very flawed, I think that all people should be given that choice.

And even though I leave my polling place feeling excited and patriotic, I often feel guilty too. Guilty that I didn't do enough again this election cycle to help the candidates I supported or the amendment I didn't. I should have volunteered more time, made phone calls, donated more money. 2008 is only two years away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home